My first finished quilt since 2011! This is the Orange You Glad Quilt from the Fat Quarter Shop's June 2020 Sew Sampler Box. The box included the Orange You Glad Quilt Pattern and five orange and green fat quarters from All Hallow’s Eve and Christmas Figs II, both by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda Fabrics. I used a combination of fabrics from my stash and scraps from the fat quarters to finish my quilt. The border and backing fabric are both from Lori Holt’s Sew Stitchy fabric line. I used a plain white fabric for the background and added a scrappy binding using 2.5” strips of leftover orange prints. There was the option to purchase a finishing kit from the Fat Quarter Shop, but I’m really trying to use up my stash. I have so much leftover fabric from my days of bag making.
The Fat Quarter Shop has an amazing set of videos called The Ultimate Beginner Quilt Series. I watched the videos on making a quilt sandwich and straight line quilting to finish my quilt. I loved all the tips and tricks so much that I plan to do the entire series from beginning to end.
The fabric I used for the background is one of my favorites!!!
I cannot say enough good things about my first Sew Sampler Box. I was only on the waiting list for a month and it was worth the wait.
Other items included in the box were:
- Macaroons Storage Container: They came in three colors and I received a green one. I use it to hold my Alphabities. It’s the perfect size!
- Orange You Glad Quilt Pattern: A seriously adorable beginner friendly quilt pattern!
- Spot on Dot 1” Magnifying Lens: I haven’t used this on a ruler yet, but I have been using it to read the teeny tiny numbers on my sewing machine needles!!
- Friskars 45mm Rotary Blade: Who doesn’t appreciate a new rotary blade?!? This is already on my Olfa Rotary Cutter, so in case you are wondering it does fit perfectly.
- Greatest Hits Album Quilt Track #3: How exciting is this? You receive a new quilt block each month. I ordered Tracks #1 and #2 since this was my first box. There is a Greatest Hits Album Quilt Kit available for purchase using Bella Solids, but I really need to use up my stash. I’ll be sewing with mostly Pam Kitty prints mixed with some Bonnie and Camille and Lori Holt.
I’m so excited to be sewing again. It’s been far too long. I hope to use my blog as a sort of journal that I can look back on and keep track of my quilting journey, especially since I’m just starting out. Oh!! And cross stitch!! I recently taught myself how to cross stitch and I love it!! If I ever get back my knitting or spinning mojo back, I’ll include those projects too.